Who is Rizom-Lab?
Well, first of all you know we're the makers of all things RizomUV! Our UV mappers are built for speed of workflow. They can unwrap, pack and optimise in seconds. This frees you up to spend time where it matters: Your art. But you already know that. If you're on this page, it's because you have questions. And we've tried to answer them as best we can, below
Who Are We?
Rizom-Lab currently has a very simple infrastructure:
- CEO and veteran main developer Rémi Arquier works on the code, solo or with other developers as needed. He has two other veterans with him, running the day to day:
- Cirstyn Bech-Yagher is a CG and software development veteran, having cut her teeth over 20 years in places ranging from render engines to telecom. Her job entails anything Rémi isn't doing, except finance and student licenses -
- Marie Cotreau is a veteran financial advisor with a background ranging from PWC to assisting startups with financing.
Together they are the core of Rizom-Lab.
For the last five years, there has been an ongoing legal dispute between Rémi Arquier, owner of Rizom-Lab, and Polygonal Design. As some of you know, the dispute was about the code Remi wrote for the Unfold 3D application versions 3 to 10. This is one of the reasons RizomUV started with, and has a new codebase.
The Aix-en-Provence Court of Appeal ruled the following on January 28th 2021:
- Mr Arquier has permanently transferred the intellectual property rights for versions 3 and 4 of the Unfold 3D software package to Polygonal Design.
- Mr Arquier is free to use later versions of the Unfold 3D software package provided it has no code from the Unfold 3D codebase from version 5.
- During the proceedings, an extensive set of legal code reviews was performed by a legal expert in information systems with all that pertains.
- It was concluded that version 10 of the Unfold 3D software has been completely rewritten since version 5 and uses different algorithms. These findings were not contested further by Polygonal Design.
- As per court ruling, Mr Arquier is the sole and legitimate holder of the intellectual property rights starting from Unfold 3D version 10.
- Hence, Polygonal Design is not justified in prohibiting Mr Arquier in exercising his intellectual property rights pertaining to his (new) software.
We hope this clarifies any issues and questions you may have about our software.
We are, of course, pleased with this ruling and are now focusing on moving forward. The court decision text can be supplied upon request at email@example.com.